August 23, 2014
Sport Kite Events
- Flier’s meeting – 10:00a.m. at the Sound Booth
- Experienced Individual Ballet – 10:30 a.m., Field A
- Beginner Sport Kites – 11:00 a.m., Field C
- Open Pairs Precision Competition – 11:30 a.m., Field C
- Masters Individual Ballet – 3:00p.m. Field A
Rick White, Event Director Registration: 9:00am 11:00 a.m. – Noon, Field A
Have you got a Cody kite? Well come and join us! Let’s break the record this year!
- In order to receive your pin, you must be registered.
- A kite flier with more than one Cody kite may fly as many of their kites as they like during the designated time, either one at a time or in a stack. Each kite will count toward the final count.
- A person not owning a Cody may fly someone else’s kite. Cody kites do not need to be handmade.
- If there is insufficient wind, the event will still be held.
- Kites that have flown in other Cody events are automatically eligible. Those kites that have not previously proven their fly ability may become authenticated by a long line launch and kept aloft for at least two minutes. The kite may have three attempts during the designated time either by the owner or by someone else.
- Get your pins and be part of the group picture!
Teddy Bear Drop
Cliff & Gerry Pennell, Directors Noon – setup for drop
DROP begins at 12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Field A
Children nine (9) and under can register beginning at 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Fifteen names will be drawn and those children will go out on the field and catch their bear.
Is that a “Bear in the Air”? Yes, the Long Beach Bears will be performing at the WSIKF on Saturday. This year’s graduating class includes expert sky divers jumping for the opportunity to go home with a lucky boy or girl. The whole squadron of Bears has been practicing all year to get ready for this event. The robust elimination process, which determined today’s performers, was highly competitive. Fifteen members of the Long Beach Bears Squadron are looking forward to retirement and enjoying the “easy life” at their new home.
This event is FREE to all children age nine (9) and under. Registration will begin at 11:30 a.m. in the Registration Tent. All those children present who have registered prior to the jump will be in the drawing to provide a good home for one of the skydivers. Children must be present when their name is drawn to be able to take home a Long Beach Bear.
Come to Field A ready to cheer for the Bears performing their final jump before retirement.
Parade Of Colors
Marla Miller, Event Director, 12:45 p.m. Line up at the north end of the Boardwalk and begin walking at 1 p.m.
Join the Parade of Colors with your flag or banner! Everyone is welcome! Line up beginning at the north end of the Boardwalk. The parade will march on the boardwalk and then around Field A. If you cannot walk through the sand, then join us at the Field. The Recognition Ceremony for the Featured Fliers will be held once the parade participants are around the field. The first 100 participants who line up with a flag or banner will receive a Parade Pin. Pins will be given as you come off the field.
Have You Seen The Fairy Godmother?
Kids – join the Fairy Godmother for the Parade. She will be wearing her wings and will be near the Registration Tent.
Wear a costume if you have it! For all of those children who did not win a bear in the Teddy Bear Drop, the Fairy Godmother and her apprentices will have goodies to give away after the Parade. The first 200 children who find them near the kite making will be able to reach into a bag to find a special gift.
David Gomberg, Event Director 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Fields A & B
This is a team competition in which the emphasis is on fun more than winning. The objective is to knock or cut other kites out of the sky using your team’s kite. AKA competition rules will be used. In order to ensure the safety and maximize the enjoyment of the teams, the following rules will be strictly enforced.
• A team consists of at least three members. They must fly a traditional Rokkaku (hexagon) shaped kite. All team members must be on the flying field at the beginning of the competition. The addition of team members from outside the field will result in immediate disqualification and removal of the team from the field. All team members must be holding onto their kite line during the entire competition. Failure to hold on to the line will result in disqualification of the team. Team members must avoid body contact with opposing team members and their lines. Any obvious attempt to make such contact will result in disqualification.
• Sharp objects connected to the line will result in disqualification. Any attempt to cut an opposing team’s line with a knife or other sharp object carried onto the field by a competitor will result in disqualification.
• Members of teams that have been forced down or disqualified must leave the field immediately. They may not make any attempt to interfere with the remaining teams.
• Any team observed not engaging for a 30 second period will be given a 30 second warning. They will be timed by a judge and disqualified if contact is not made. Teams will also be timed for contact on a random basis.
• The judges may stop the competition at any time by sounding a whistle or horn. All competitors must stop in place at the sound. It is expected that this will only occur in the event of an injury or if an unsafe condition is felt to exist on the field.
Children’s Kite Making
2:00 – 4:00 p.m., Activities Tent
Sponsored by the World Kite Museum & Carl Williamson 2:00 p.m.- 4p.m. Activities Tent
Hosted by Phyllis Gribbin a long time kite maker and flier who has worked with the Hands On Children’s Museum in Olympia, WA. Kite making is a free activity but donations help support the World Kite Museum.
Mass Ascension #3– Flat and Bowed Kites
Barry Crites & Vic Eshpeter, Event Directors 2:30 p.m., Field A
Registration on Thursday,10:00 a.m., at the Registration Tent. Part 3 of 4-piece pin for the first 240 fliers.
And, MORE FIREWORKS — at approximately 9:30pm!
Sport Kite Events
• Open Team Ballet – 2:30 p.m., Field B,
• Masters Individual Ballet Competition – 3:30 p.m., Field A