Pixels From Down Under Class
Due to some very unfortunate circumstances, Pixels from Down Under has been cancelled. We're sorry for any inconvenience.
The technique is called “fabric leadlight”and is done with no back-cutting. Fabric leadlight glows in the sunshine. Anyone with a sewing machine, black thread and a keenness to meet Linda or sew something bright will do well.
This is made with flag nylon which is easier to work with than ripstop, making the project low stress for all. Flag nylon is a quiet fabric and is fade resistant. The straight seams only require a wide zigzag stitch. Banners will be made using Linda's specialised **hot cut, hot-weld and sew** process.
- Additional pre-cut flag pieces will be available on a first-in-the-door basis.
- Extra kits are $75. and can be pre-ordered with registration.
- Poles will not be supplied, but the finished project will fit a 10’ pole.
- The workshop is $100/person and is limited to 12 participants per day.
- Read Needs List, below.
- Fill out the registration form.
- Make payment:
- Call the Museum (360-642-4020) with credit card info (open 11am - 4 pm, Fri - Tues)
- Mail a check to World Kite Museum, PO Box 964, Long Beach, WA 98631
NOTE there is a class limit of 12 and reservations will be taken in the order payment & registration are received.
- Registration $100.
- Extra Kit $75.
Minimum NEEDS for Linda Sander’s class:
- Hot dot iron – 40W with “biro-style” tip
- Cigarette lighter / thread sealer.
- Seam ripper – in case you sew OFF kilter by accident…
- Poly-cotton thread is best for UV. I work in black for the leadlight effect.
- Ordinary single-side sticky tape for joining pattern pieces (see-through tape)
- Camera or smartphone so you can photograph any physical examples you need to remember after class.
- NOT SUPPLIED – pole. Best to have a NON-whippy tip. Use a 10’ pole for this banner. Bring yours for the “I’ve finished!” photo.
- If you use edge tape, bring approx. 12’ x two-thirds inch wide, single fold required. OR… double fold hem.
- Table protection – you’ll be using your HOT-dot iron onto fabric which sits on 80gsm paper. Ideally large sheet of cardboard, or thin piece of plywood. Even better – a portable light table.
- Sewing machine which can sew ZIGZAG stitch @ wider than for kite applique. Some sewing machine stitch width numers range from 0.1 to 5 or more. Select 4. Can’t set tension until in class - SCRAP fabric supplied on the day. Flag nylon is NOT ripstop, it’s friendlier!
- Fabric clamps / bulldog clips to hold the rolled fabric either side of your working space.top