Indoor Kite Flying Competition and Performances
Two full days of FUN!
January 20-21, 2018
Come and check out the longest running indoor kiting event in all of North America, it’s amazing. No wind, no fans, just kites and motion as they swoop and glide to entertain. Astounding performances will happen both Saturday and Sunday.
- Doors open at 8:30am for warm-up, free fly and lessons.
- A kite making workshop by Alexa King starts at 9:00am Saturday morning for $5.00
- Performances, competitions, demos, and free fly and lessons continue through 4:00 pm.
- Performances Sunday will be 8:30am-3:00pm.
Featured Flyer James Fletcher
PHOTO: Andrew Albosta
James Fletcher started flying 5 years ago and his life his never been the same since. Not only has kite flying brought him out of his shell, it also got him over his fear of flying when he agreed to his first international kite festival in Colombia South America.
In his short time flying James, or “Fletch” as we call him, racked up a number of kite flying accomplishments. He is the AKA 2014 and 2017 National Indoor Single Line Champion, 2017 Indoor Unlimited Champion, 2014 and 2015 Eastern League Precession Champion as well as the 2015 and 2016 Eastern League Ballet Champion.
When Fletch isn’t on the competition field, he can be found in the inner city of Baltimore, Maryland sharing his passion of kites with others.
PHOTO: Andrew Albosta
PHOTO: Andrew Albosta
PHOTO: Andrew Albosta
Long Beach School Gymnasium | Washington and 4th St South | Long Beach, WA 98631
“the greatest, grandest, Kite Festival
on the North American continent!”
The Washington State International Kite Festival (WSIKF) is a week-long kite celebration and competition held annually during the third full week of August.
Starting on Monday and ending on Sunday this Long Beach, Washington State vacation extravaganza boasts skies ablaze with color, high flying action and choreographed movement. Washington’s Kite Festival draws famous kite fliers from all around the world, and tens of thousands awed spectators, many of which participate in the fun with their own kite flying adventures.
Outstanding Kite Festival 2009 & 2013
Kite Trade Association International
More event info:
Poster Contest Festival Map Festival Program Vendor Information Photo Contest
Featured in Top Events USA!
Top Events USA has named Washington State International Kite Festival a Top Event in the country and a Top 20 Event in Washington.
DON’T MISS THIS SPRING BREAK – FAMILY FUN
From mid-March through mid-April, the World Kite Museum has special events for every member of your family.
First there is the Kite Poster Trivia Game. You can search for and answer the Trivia Questions pertaining to the posters in our Washington State International Kite Festival Poster Gallery. For being good Museum Trivia Buffs, you will receive a packet of coupons from local merchants, such as Wind World Kites, Dennis Company, Hungry Harbor Grille, Stormin Norman’s, Captain Bob’s Chowder, Beach Duds, Castaways Seafood Grille, The Imperial Schooner, Mostly Hats, Kompton’s Mini-Mart, The Wooden Horse, Tsunami Gifts, Streetside Taco, Paradise Pizza, Beachcombers, and others.
Also while you are in the Museum, there are other things to check out, Here are a few:
- Discover how Soldier’s in WWll used kites
- Fold a flying origami crane for good luck
- See how the people of Bali use kites to catch bats
- And make your very own kite!!
Open Daily – 11:00 to 5:00
Admission: $5 for adults; $4 over 60; $3 children 3-16
30th Annual World Wide Event
Saturday & Sunday October 8 & 9, 2016
…and always the second Sunday in October…
One Sky One World, International Kite Fly for Peace is held the second Sunday of October annually, around the globe. Come and fly with us on the Bolstad Approach all weekend. Sign the global register, fly for at least an hour, and receive a special participants pin!
One Sky One World promotes annual activities in concurrence with events in hundreds of locations around the world the second Sunday of October annually utilizing the multi-cultural symbol of the kite and ocean of air that we all share. People are made aware of the kites contribution to cultural history, the arts and sciences through recognition and enjoyment of the kite, its many manifestations and the activity of kite flying as expressed in many nations and regions throughout recorded history. The art and entertainment activities associated with the One Sky One World event, leads community enjoyment, understanding and friendship between people, environmental awareness and promoting world peace.
Questions? Call 360-642-4020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.oneskyoneworld.org.
The Annual One Sky One World International Kite Fly for Peace takes place in hundreds of worldwide locations each year on the second Sunday of October. October 11, 2016 will mark the 31st annual event held in Denver (it’s birthplace) and around the world.
- 1985: OSOW cover story of Soviet Life Magazine
- 1986: International Press Conference sponsored by Hotel Jerome in Aspen, Colorado
- 1986: Dr. David Schramm, a world leader in theoretical astrophysics from the University of Chicago, a leading authority on the Big-Bang model on the formation of the universe, endorses OSOW
- 1989: OSOW receives Peace Award from the City of Ferrara, Italy
- 1989: Pope John Paul blesses OSOW and all World Kite-Fliers
- 1992: Kites fly in 1st peaceful protest in Tiananmen Square, Beijing, China
- 1996: NASA commemorates OSOW 10th anniversary, takes 1st kite into space on Space Shuttle “Endeavor”
- 1997: Jane Parker-Ambrose first woman admitted into “The Kiting Hall of Fame” at the World Kite Museum along with Ben franklin, Wright Brothers, Domina Jalbert (parafoil), Alexander Graham Bell
- 2000: UNESCO votes to accept OSOW into the DECADE OF NON-VIOLENCE activities
- 2001: The OSOW International Reporting Site is established on the internet by Tomas Jekel of Germany
- 2006: John McConnell, Founder of Earth Day, speaks at One Sky One World in Denver
- 2009: OSOW in Denver is linked live to other OSOW locations around the world via Skype and the internet. Earth Day Founder, John McConnell, at age 94 is linked to worldwide locations.
- 2010: DreamWorks Animation, in celebration of its feature adventure and peace movie, “How to Train Your Dragon”, honors the 25th Anniversary of One Sky One World 2010.
- 2012: Founder of One Sky One World, Mrs. Parker-Ambrose traveled to Paris, France, and was the first person ever recorded to fly a kite off the Eiffel Tower. She flew a kite made by Belgian architect and kite maker, Nest Lernout.